Measure and Install Wallpaper If you are looking to give your home a fresh look, wallpapers can be the answer. Not only is it an affordable way to update your space, but they also come in a variety of styles and colors that will match any style or preference.
Whether you are looking for something with bold patterns or simple solid hues, wallpapers are the perfect choice for updating your home without breaking the bank!
If you’re not familiar with how to measure and install wallpaper yourself, here’s what you’ll need to know before starting on this project:
How Does a Quantity Surveyor Help to Calculate Wallpaper?
Quantity surveying is one of the oldest professions in the world. A quantity surveyor’s core role has always been to act as manager of construction projects, producing cost plans which are used to verify payments against work completed. The profession evolved out of trade guilds formed by Roman engineers and architects during the height of their empire.
A Quantity Surveyor is responsible for the Quantity Surveying of a project. This involves checking that the cost of work to complete or maintain a property or building is in proportion to its size and condition. A Quantity Surveyor will also check if the price paid by the client is fair, based on market rates at the time of purchasing, rather than prices paid when work has been completed.
The most common method that is usually used by wallpaper manufacturers is the roll-to-roll method. In this method, a sheet of paper or substrate material is unwound from one huge roller and fed through various printing machines as per requirement, until all colors are printed on it.
Subsequently, the sheet is rewound on another roller with a cutter attached to cut off excess materials hanging from the edges of the substrate after printing.
How to measure a wall for wallpaper
- Measure the length and width of your wall
- Multiply the two measurements together
- Add 20 inches to that number for a border on all four sides
- Cut wallpaper into strips that are 1 inch by this measurement, then lay them out in order from longest to shortest on the floor
- Cover each strip with painter’s tape so they don’t stick to anything when you’re not using them
- Use a pencil or pen to mark where you want your first strip of paper – make sure it’s at least 12 inches away from any other strips or borders
How to measure a room for wallpaper
- Find out the dimensions of your room by measuring it
- Use a calculator to convert inches into feet and yards
- Divide the length of the wall by 12 to get how many rolls you need for that wall
- Multiply the number of rolls needed for one wall by 4 (to account for both sides)
- Add up all your numbers and divide them by 2, which will give you how many total rolls you’ll need for your project
- Figure out what type of wallpaper you want – traditional or modern, textured or smooth, etc., then choose from different brands with varieties in price range
How to measure a kitchen for wallpaper
- Measure the width and height of your kitchen
- Find an image of wallpaper you like online, then measure it to get its width and height
- Use a paint ruler to measure the total square footage of your kitchen’s walls
- Multiply the square footage by either $6 or $8 (depending on how expensive you want your wallpaper)
- Add that number to the cost for any other wallpapers you might need in order to cover all walls in your kitchen
- Compare prices between stores, because some will be cheaper than others!
How to measure a bathroom for wallpaper
- Measure the length and width of your bathroom
- Calculate the square footage of your bathroom
- Determine how many rolls you need to cover your walls with wallpaper
- Cut out a piece of paper that is the same size as the wall, and tape it up on one side of the room to see if it’s visually appealing or not
- If you like what you see, then cut out more pieces and repeat until all four walls are covered in paper
- Once you’re happy with how everything looks, remove all paper from inside the room and use a wallpaper paste/glue to attach it to each wall (this will make sure that there aren’t any bubbles)
How to measure a hallway for wallpaper
- Measure the width of the hallway
- Measure the height of the hallway
- Divide your measurements to get your wallpaper’s length and width
- Find colors that match with your home’s interior design
- Pick out a pattern you like from a wallpaper company, such as Ralph Lauren or Cole & Son
- Print out an online picture for reference while you are at the store picking up your new wallpaper
How to measure a staircase for wallpaper
- Measure the height of your staircase to determine how much wallpaper you need
- Determine if you want a patterned or plain design
- If you’re using a pattern, make sure it’s not too busy – pick one that has large blocks of color instead of smaller details
- Take measurements for the length and width of your staircase to ensure there are no gaps around the edges when it’s applied
- Calculate how many rolls you will need based on your measurements
- Cut out paper strips in order to measure where each strip should go on the wall before applying them
How to measure a stairwell for wallpaper
- Measure the height and width of your stairwell
- Find a wallpaper that is wide enough to cover the entire surface area
- Add 1-inch borders to each side of the paper for cutting purposes
- Cut out the pattern, then apply it to your wall with wallpaper paste or double-sided tape
- Put up large strips of masking tape on either side of where you want to cut so you don’t damage walls while cutting
- Remove all excess paper from around edges using an X-Acto knife or razor blade, being careful not to cut yourself in the process
Anyone can follow these simple steps to install wallpaper in a way that is professional and pleasing. It’s easy, so don’t be intimidated! Let us know if you have any more questions about this process below or at our contact page. We’re here for you!
We hope you’ve found this article helpful. If so, please share it with your friends and family on social media!