Spinach is a hot season leafy vegetable developed across all India, and this can be produced in backyards and open fields commercially. It is called ‘Palak’ in Hindi also known for lush green foliage. Spinach is rich in iron, vitamins, and antioxidants. Spinach crops can collected after 6-8 weeks from sowing. In a warm climate, Spinach tends to provide seeds rather than grow the foliage. So gather it at the right time. It can planted in containers at home.
Some facts about Growing Spinach
- Spinach needs good fertilizers and nutrients as it is a heavy feeder. However, 4-1-2 ratios of nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium sufficient to grow healthy leaves.
- Spinach grown from seeds and even can be produced from cuttings. You can maintain 3 inches of space between plants and 2 feet row to row gap.
- It can grow back and give increased harvests with fitting growing methods.
- If Spinach grown in pots, the ideal area of the container is 10 to 12 inches.
- Spinach grown as an annual crop, and it tolerates some shade and requires a case of dry and hot climates.
- The bolting of Spinach is due to moisture stress (providing less water) in the final stages of the plant.
- Spinach can regrown from cuttings, plus it can be grown quickly from the seed germination.
Spinach Climatic Requirement for Plantation
Spinach is a hot climate crop but can also grown during the moderate winter season. It can also tolerate frost to some extent. Spinach does well through the winter season. It is highly susceptible to waterlogging and lousy drainage. It can grown enormously in plains and on hills.
Spinach Soil Requirement
Spinach grows in any well-drained soil. However, loamy soil is absolute. The ground should be free, too, so that seedlings can find roots quickly and suddenly. Add a fine layer of garden fertilizer or FYM (field yard manure) to the soil. It will produce nutrients for the plants.
Apart from this, you have to prepare land for farming with the help of tractors and farm implements. And we know very well that the efficiency of working a tractor is a little affected by the quality of the tyres. So, we have to use high-quality tyres like BKT tyres and others.
Spinach Propagation and Sowing
Spinach propagated from seeds. Prepare soil enhanced with garden compost or FYM and sow seeds a ½ inch deep and 1 inch apart. Water the soil without changing sources. Roots grow in a week. It planted from October as the main crop and in January- February as a summer crop. It needs 30 -40 kg seed per hectare. Bases covered in water before sowing. Seeds generally distributed in flatbeds. However, line-sowing at a 20 cm distance is convenient for intercultural work as this increases air distribution around the crop and reduces the chances of any fungal illness.
Spinach Manures and Fertilizers
It doesn’t have feeding requirements. Good quality compost works well as fertilizer. 30 to 50 cartloads FYM (field yard manure) should be at the time of soil preparation.
Spinach Water requirement
Spinach is a humidity-loving plant. Therefore, mulch the soil is working dried leaves, straws, etc., to retain rain around the plant. Winter spinach crop requires irrigation 10 -15 days interval depending on a soil sample. January- planted crop requires irrigation at 6 to 7 days interval in summertime months. for Keeping soil wet.
Spinach Harvesting of Yield
Start collecting crops after 6-8 weeks of sowing. It will furthermore increase the plant and ultimately results in more foliage to store. Only well-grown succulent and tender leaves trimmed. The winter crop gives more cuttings. On average, the palak crop gives 4 -6 cuttings. The total yield of green needles is 80- 100 quintals per hectare. After collection, leaves tied in bundles and sent for shopping.
Varieties Of Spinach Plant
- Also known as curly-leaf, savoy highlights dark green and crisp leaves that have a crunchy taste. However, as it has a bitter flavour, it is less used in salads and mostly cooked.
- It offers thick, large leaves in an arrow shape. This species grows moderately fast in 35-40 days.
- It has thick leaves and can survive cold temperatures.
- This semi-savoy opposed to bolting and downy smut disease. It has vigorous and upright growth habits. Tyee highlights dark green leaves and best suited for mild winter areas.
- It has a pretty fast increase rate and also bolt resistant. Leaves are crunchy and can harvest in 50-60 days.
- It can grown in any season and takes around 40-50 days to harvest.
- It is a bolt-resistant variety and has deep green and oval leaves. Teton takes 40-45 days to harvest.
Smooth Leaf Spinach
- This has smooth petals that have a tender, slightly sweet flavour.
- It slow to bolt and takes around 45-55 days to grow. It is resistant to downy mildew.
- It Has red veins and stems. The plant gets ready to collect in 30-40 days.
As we discussed earlier in this blog, the efficiency of the tractors also affected by the tyres. So, we should use fuel-efficient and excellent tyres. You have to think about the price also, so your budget will not affected. For example, you can use MRF tyres because the MRF tyre price is reasonable and the quality is excellent.
We hope you get this blog Informative. Stay connected with us for more related blogs.